I could eat tacos every day. Think of all the variety! Chicken, beef, fish… topped with veggies, sour creme, guac, cheeses… the possibilities are endless. And best yet, I think they taste just as phenomenal when you replace the taco shell with crispy iceberg lettuce! We usually make these with ground turkey in my house so they’re pretty healthy, but you could use ground beef or chicken instead. And just like any tacos, these fantastically dynamic tasty noms can be topped with anything that tickles your fancy.
- 1 package (1 – 1½ lbs) ground turkey
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 chopped red bell pepper
- 1 chopped green bell pepper
- 1 tsp chopped garlic
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cilantro
- 2 tsp chili powder (more or less, depending on how spicy you want it)
- ¼ cup light sour cream
- 4 chopped chipotle peppers in adobo sauce (more or less, depending on how spicy you want it)
- Chopped tomato
- Shredded cheese
- Sliced avocado
- Iceberg lettuce (ok, obviously not a topping, but the poor lettuce was a loner in any other category. Use this to wrap up your yumminess!)
In about a tablespoon of olive oil, saute the chopped onions and peppers until soft. Add the ground turkey, breaking into small pieces as it cooks, and cook until no pink remains. Add cumin, salt, cilantro and chili powder. Taste the mixture and add more salt and chili powder as needed.
To make lettuce cups, chop the hard, white end of the head off. Then chop the entire head in half, going right through the middle of where the white stem previously was. You’ll be left with two sets of perfect lettuce cups! Fill them with the ground turkey filling, spicy chipotle sauce, and top with the toppings of your preference, and enjoy!